1. to bring forward expenses

Those who can see that they have lower incomes in 2018 may prefer spending. This may be useful if taxpayers retire at the beginning of the year 2018 or parental leave is due, explains the federal taxpayer association in Berlin.

If no or only little income tax is paid in 2018, the expenses may no longer be tax-deductible. However, those who prefer spending in 2017 can start with the 2017 tax return and thus reduce the tax burden. In this case, there are advertising costs, for example the purchase of textbooks.

2. Secure allowances for the Riester pension

Riester savers get government allowances, but only on application. This is indicated by the German Pension Insurance Association. Up to two years retroactively, an application can be submitted to the provider of the Riester contract. After that expires the claim. The allowances for 2015 can thus be secured until 31 December 2017.

It is easier if the provider with a permanent allowance application is authorized to apply for the allowances. Riester savers then only have to consider communicating to the provider changes in income and living conditions, such as the birth of a child.

3. Marry until December 31st

Anyone who soon plans the yes-word in front of the registry office, this can also do until the end of the year. This may be worthwhile because newly married people can apply for marriage splitting in their 2017 tax return. If the spouses have different levels of income, there can be a tax refund, explains the taxpayer association. If you go to the civil registry office in 2018, splitting will not be until 2018.

4. Check wage tax levels

Anyone who has been married for a long time should check at the turn of the year to see if the payroll tax classes are still optimal. If, for example, a salary increase changes the ratio of revenue in the coming year, switching to a different tax code combination may make sense.

Married couples have the choice between the tax class combination III / V, V / III, IV / IV and the factor procedure. The tax class IV / IV is often chosen with approximately the same income of the partners, the combination of III and V with different income distribution.

With the factor method, the expected tax liability can be determined very accurately. Anyone who chooses a tax code combination with III and V or the factor procedure must in all cases submit an income tax return.

5. Make child benefit applications

From 2018, the child benefit will only be paid retroactively for six months, explains the taxpayers’ association. So far, it could be paid later for a maximum of four years. The new regulation applies to all applications received by the family fund after 31 December 2017, according to the Taxpayers’ Association.

Parents should therefore check before the turn of the year, whether they have retroactive entitlement to child benefit. This may, for example, be the case for children of age up to the age of 25 if they have taken up studies or training and their parents have not yet claimed child support for this period.

6. Register allowances for 2018

With an allowance, employees can secure a higher monthly net salary. This is useful if employees have a long commute or additional expenses for a double housekeeping. Anyone applying by the end of the year will benefit right from January.

An official form must be used for the application, explains the taxpayer association. The forms for 2018 are available at the tax office or can be downloaded from the internet. Important: Anyone who receives appropriate allowances must make an income tax return in any case.

7. extend deadline for tax return

Anyone who is obliged to file an income tax return and has not yet submitted the documents can extend the deadline. The trick: Anyone who hires a tax consultant, lawyer or employment taxpayers’ association can make the declaration for the year 2016 at the latest by December 31, 2017. This is what the Lohnsteuerhilfe Bayern (Lohi) calls attention. If the deadline is exceeded, delay surcharges can be set.

8. Have losses certified

Investors can have their losses certified by the banks. This is useful for all who maintain depots at various banks. For example, losses from a deposit in the income tax return can be offset against income from other deposits. However, the loss certificate must be applied for by 15 December 2017 at the latest, explains the taxpayer association. If the investor misses the deadline, the losses are not lost. You will automatically be charged by the custodian bank for future profits.


Net loan amount Euro
Loan term 12 months 24 Months 36 months 48 months 60 months 72 months 84 months 96 months 108 months 120 months
use used cars New cars motorcycle Rescheduling / credit repayment Balance checking account renovation Furniture / Furniture / Kitchen move travel PC / TV / phone / audio Commercial / self-employed Free use Compare now!


You may also like